Friday, October 31, 2008

Prop 8 is not Hate

I would like for the gays and lesbians of California to know what I mean by the “Yes on Proposition 8” sign in my yard. I want you to know what I am saying, and what I’m not saying, by driving around with a “Yes on Prop 8” sticker. Some opponents of Proposition 8 seem to view it as a referendum on whether we like gay people. I do not share this view. From my perspective, it would be tragic for the gays and lesbians of California to believe that every house with a Yes on 8 sign in the yard is inhabited by someone who hates them.

I’m voting “yes” on 8, not because of my views of gays and lesbians, but because of my views about marriage. I view marriage as a gender-based institution that attaches mothers and fathers to each other and to their children. Those of us who support Proposition 8 believe that children deserve at least the chance to have a relationship with a mom and a dad. That isn’t hateful toward anyone.

Jennifer Roback Morse, Ph.D., is an official spokesman for Proposition 8.

Full article here

Vote YES on California Prop 8